Identity Management has become an integral part of organization’s IT System. Be it interaction with customers, employees, federated members, stakeholders – an authenticated identity with correctly governed access to information repository is mandatory for keeping the work-flows smooth, speedy and secure. Organizations, globally are embarking on an Identity and Access Management journey aimed at transforming the way digitally connected devices and users interact.
If you are yet to start your IAM climb or if you are held up on level 1 thinking that your IAM is just in place, think again. We have a few reasons to substantiate our point:
- IT/Cyber Security, Data security, Big Data Management is a necessity and not just an option anymore! Cyber-crimes happen all the time. They happen at the most secure of places where a loop has gone un-noticed, and also at most vulnerable IT Systems. So do not be comforted into thinking that your information repository will not be beneficial to hackers. Safeguarding information is an important part of protecting valuable personal data, brand equity, customer loyalty and not to forget the cost of undertaking corrective measures. Getting to the right path with authenticated identity is just the starting point, add on include putting Multi Factor Authentication in place. IAM also talks about ensuring that the Privilege users are also protected and monitored.
- IT security is not just a board-room talk, Government regulations are well in place. Sterner compliance requirements are on their way. Regulations such as HIPAA enforce businesses to ensure security or face hefty penalty for healthcare organizations. Similarly any industry that deals with electronic interaction of identities needs to put check and balances in place to ensure identity security, data security and discourage cyber-criminal activities. Identity management solutions make compliance to regulations possible as IT admin gets to manage access policies regarding how data can be accessed and used while adhering to regulatory considerations.
- Your IT users – be it customers, employees, management, or perhaps devices – deserve a personalized digital touchpoint. Access limited because not everyone can enter everywhere. Similarly every user does not necessarily need access to same information. Customers need to know about their products, finance manager might not be interested in product but in finances. The marketing geek of your enterprise could be looking for patterns in which a customer visits an e-commerce portal. So you serve what they look for, and of-course put checks for those who deserve to access that information.
- Competitiveness needs technological agility that reflects well into business strategy. The benefits of Identity Management technology does not limit to cyber security. The IAM technology extends its benefits to business by allowing management to strategically align corporate objective in the IT System. It also helps in substantially bringing down help desk request cost, enabling faster resolution of access related requests. Single Sign On and Password Self-Service are much talked about benefits of IAM technology that cannot be over looked. IAM can also be integrated with smart remote devices taking the benefits to wider mobile and remote users. This has proven beneficial for companies in keeping a competitive edge in the industry.
- The concept of Identity is changing, it is not more related to individuals but to devices. Data related to Identity is growing like never before. One user can have multiple identities and managing the paradigm of identity without a technological intervention is becoming impossible. Within identity data the quantum of information tracked varies from basic details to targeted details such as location, device, search history, user web journey – and yes that is recorded by business enterprises. An IAM platform that is capable of handling such scale will businesses to full value of customer identity data.
When technology did not reach its acme, IAM tasks were conducted manually. But now with digital capabilities Identity & Access Management helps in complementing business goals, ensuring security and achieving efficiency.